Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mia is doing well from her shots so far, which we are very grateful. We know her immunizations are important, but we don't want her to have anymore seizures either. Mia weighed in at 18 pounds 1 ounce this morning, she's getting to be such a big girl!

At the pediatrician's office yesterday, she told us she wants Mia to be getting 3 meals a day and no more bottles after 18 months...that's seems a bit daunting to us, but we're going to do our best to get there. Pray for wisdom on transitioning to more solids and chunkier solids. Mia tends to make herself gag with chunkier things, so pray that she'd figure out how to eat those things...we will be seeing her feeding therapist tomorrow and she should be able to give us more advice on this also.

Pray also that Mia would learn to feed herself. She will pick up food, but never put it in her mouth...she'll put toys in her mouth, but not food, so pray that she'd make progress in that area.

We are considering letting Mia cry it out at night also, instead of giving her a bottle, so pray for wisdom there also. We want to do what's best for her and getting her to learn how to sleep through the night is really important, so pray for us in that area too.

We are leaning towards not doing surgery on her skull, pray that if God wants us to do that, He would change our hearts. We aren't for certain, but that is kind of where we are at right now...we are definitely not rushing into another skull surgery.

7 comments:

9ndhouse- Katie said...

Glad things seem to be going good after the shots and that she has gained weight. I think that Doctors are doing there best but I wonder sometimes about trying to put every baby on the "same" schedule page. Is it really such a big thing that she still has a bottle? My only point here is that you are the parents and you know in your heart with God as your guide what is the best for Mia right now. If crying it out (which my children have done plenty of times :-) ) is what you think is best then go for it. You will know if she "needs" something or not. I am praying for ya'll, I'm sure you will do the right thing for Mia concerning everything from eating and sleeping to the surgery. God bless you, you are doing a wonderful job!!!

Amy said...

I agree. I think you have to balance what the doctors say, what you read, what you hear other parents talk about, and most importantly, what you think is right for YOUR child. The sleeping thing is hard...it's so much easier in the middle of the night to do what you know works...because you want to go back to sleep yourself! Good luck...I will continue to ppray for Mia's development and health.

Brad and Lisa said...

We take everything with a grain of salt, but we do want Mia to eat more solids and sleep through the night, so we're willing to start working on getting her to that goal, I don't know if we'll make it, but we'll see...thanks for the encouragement! We won't feel bad if she still has a bottle at 18 months. :)

CrystalStrickler said...

Glad to hear that Miss Mia is growing so well! :) There are so many opinions out there what works..what is right according to the doctors...and how your child responds. Every child is so different and responds differently to each situation and ultimately you know your child the best. If crying it out at night seems like a potential option....then you do what feels right to you (I think we all have done it at a few times).

As far as eating more solids, I don't know if you tried yet but chunks of tofu (make sure it is extra firm..b/c soft is way too mushy) is a great source of protein and still mushy enough that it isn't too hard to eat.

We continue to pray for all that you are going through right now. You guys are doing a phenomenal job! May God Bless all of you!

Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the hardest thing to do as parents with a young child is to let them cry it out, but it worked for both of our kids. Brett took to it better than Madeline. To this day Brett is such a better sleeper than she is. I would do it again if I had to. I will pray for you and Brad. She just might surprise you! :)
Sally Sturm

SUMMERLEAH said...

I agree with everybody here. Parents need to take all of the info they get, and customize their own plan. I know that I give lots of advise about kids, maybe too much. I just feel like I am robbing somebody if I don't share what I have learned. Just know that I don't take offense if you toss it out the window. I know you both are doing a great job. God has too! We are praying for wisdom...love you all!

Nancy said...

Hi Lisa, We saw the same dr. yesterday and got the same advice -at 12 months. No more bottles and no more night feedings. Everything was textbook perfect with Trinity but these twins have thrown us for a gigantic loop! I feel for you and want you to know I am right there with you re: the balance that your other friends are talking about. First thing on my list next week: research transition to milk and cup...Yikes:-)