Sunday, March 22, 2009

Facing Forward


Today we switched out Mia's car seat to her new big girl car seat and she's officially facing forward! In California the law is 1 year AND 20 pounds and while Mia has been 1 year for awhile she finally reached 20 pounds, so we were excited to install her new car seat. Well, I looked at the directions and it said 1 year and 22 pounds...you can imagine my heart sinking as I read that. So, Brad told me to call the manufacturer and find out more information about their ratings and I did...and I found out that the reason they put 22 pounds is because some states are going to 22 pounds as their standard and they were trying to be proactive in that. They told me that the car seat was tested at 20 pounds and is just fine for 20 pounds and in fact, a few years ago it said 1 year and 20 pounds, so that was enough for me to be ok with it. She's just too long these days in her other car seat, so here she is in her new car seat.

We also went for a trip facing forward and she was in awe...it's a totally different experience riding in this direction. She definitely liked it. :)

5 comments:

dsturm said...

Dear Mia,
WOW !!!20lbs. That is great.You look pretty cute in that Big Girl seat.We love you and are praying for you.
Auntie Dar&Uncle Arnie

Eliza said...

I bet she loves it! And you too probably - you can see her more easily!

Mommy Diffee said...

I LOVE the forward seat because they can see you and you can see them =) It is so much more fun! Super cute picture! =)

Unknown said...

Good job Mia!
Do you have more info about California law? I know the American Academy of Pediatrics reccommends the 1 year 20 lb rule of thumb, but I haven't been able to find any info about California rear facing carseat laws. We're at the same point - ready to switch, but are unsure what the true requirements are.

Brad and Lisa said...

I was looking for info Victoria, but I couldn't find much online either. carseat.org appears to have the best information.

I have information from when I left the hospital with Mia that says she has to be 20 pounds and 1 year to face forward.

Wish I could be more help!