Monday, September 21, 2009


I love this picture, even if it is horribly centered, I just barely got her in it! Isn't she a cutie!

Today we started Mia's new class at school. It does seem to be a better fit for her, so I think we will be staying there, but I wanted to see what the teacher in the class thought after Thursday, if she agreed or not. It was a bit less structured than our other class, and so that was different for me, it will just take a bit of getting used to and getting to know new people. :)

This afternoon we went to our first speech therapy appointment and that went really well. It was mostly just playing with the therapist, so Mia could get to know her and get used to being around her. What struck me the most though, was that there was a lot of repetition of phrases. They would play with a certain toy and she would repeat the same phrases, like 3 times, over and over again. She said that after awhile, kids pick up on this and naturally start producing those same words/phrases. So, we'll see what happens. We have noticed Mia using her mouth more, like she wants to say something, but nothing comes out, so please continue to pray for her in that area.

Wearing the glasses is going great, for the most part she keeps them on, usually when she sees her reflection in something (like the fireplace or dishwasher), she will try to remove them, but otherwise they stay on. I noticed her trying to take them off the other day and I said, "Mia No.", in my strong firm parent voice (I have no clue when I developed that...hehehehe), and she fussed a bit and looked at me, but kept them on. So, she definitely understands!! Praise God!

Oh, and sleeping with her hip brace, she actually sleeps better with it than without! For the last several nights, she's been making it all the way to the morning, it is so awesome. I think it's because she can't get on her knees, it forces her to stay lying down and so then she eventually falls back asleep when she wakes up. I told Brad that we've found the secret to getting your kids to sleep through the night and if we have any more kids, we'll put them in the brace if we have to! Probably not, but it is kind of humorous to us that this is what it took to get her to sleep through the night. Praise God for uninterrupted sleep!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

She looks great, I can not believe how grown up the glasses make her look. She looks like such a smart, big girl.

Christine Deeths

Aunt Goose said...

Love my niece-y! She looks super cute!! I think the off-centered picture makes it look more artsy... I really like it. :) Can't wait to see you guys so soon!!

Rick B. said...

Wonderful Pic and great to see the improvements....
Love & Happiness