Sunday, May 02, 2010

Is it May already?

Somewhere between March and April it turned into May...and quickly! We've been doing well, I've been taking it easy and I think I have fully recovered, but I'm trying to ease back into normal duties so as not to bring back any bad feelings. Thank you for praying for me and Peanut/Brother... :)

Something we've struggled with since birth, it seems like, is Mia's sleeping. We'd get her to sleep through the night and then a few days later we'd be back to where we were. Probably the longest stretch was when she was wearing the hip brace. We started delving into some "accidental parenting" by bringing her to bed with us and before you knew it, she was there almost the whole night. Daddy decided we really needed to work on this before Brother comes and so I went away for a woman's retreat a few months ago and he instituted the "never again in our bed" policy. I must say I was skeptical, but after a few weeks, she was sleeping better in her own bed, getting used to being in her bed all the time...we would join her (yes, talk about uncomfortable...a twin bed...) when she cried. It was still a lot of work, but then we found Green Monkey (a gift from a coworker) was like a security blanket to her...and so every nap/bedtime meant having Green Monkey around. And every now and then she'd make it all the way through the night without crying, we were getting excited. Well, about a week ago, she just started to do it consistently, it's been so nice! We've only gone in there once the whole week...that's a major breakthrough, she'll even wake up and fuss a bit, but get herself back to sleep most of the time. I feel like we've turned a page and I'm so excited.

Now, to not make the same mistakes with Brother and to train him so much earlier...that will be the true test to see if we've learned anything in our parenting!

No comments: