Tuesday, April 20, 2010

LA LA LA...

Yes, we were off to LA LA Land this morning, that's what I plan on calling LA from now on. We were being seen by the NICU staff to follow-up on Mia's weight concerns. I weighed her in this morning and she's around 21 pounds 8 ounces, so we are heading in the right direction again, we were at 22 pounds a few weeks ago, but I'm confident that we'll get there again in the near future. They were very happy with where she's at for her weight. I explained my concerns that she is totally off the chart still, but apparently since she was born at 36 weeks, they use the premie chart and adjust her age by a month, which makes her weight look more realistic. Personally, since she's 2 1/2, I think she should have caught up to the normal chart by now and I recognize that she's still not quite where she should be, but she is doing much better. As long as we continue to grow, my goal is for her to be at 26 pounds by age 3 and then she should be just barely on the normal growth chart. It's my goal and it's just a number, but it's good to have goals.

They then did their infant development test on her and she was in a much better mood than last time, which made her more cooperative. She did great. Her cognitive ability is at exactly average...I love the word average! 50%. And she probably is slightly higher, but much of what they do requires her to use language and even though she signs quite a bit, she still is rather deficient in expressive language. Her language ability is at low average, which is still very good and her motor skills are much lower, but that's because she isn't walking yet. We've always been low in that area, but continue to improve and so we just work on it. I'm just super thrilled that her cognitive abilities are so high, especially since they told us she'd have "no higher cognitive function" after her stroke. Praise God for a miracle!!!

They just love to see her there, it's like visiting family since we see them so often and they've known her since she was a baby. I love that they just always want the best for her and go out of their way to make sure that she gets the best. She's a well loved little girl!

No comments: