Friday, April 23, 2010

Recently I read some articles about autism and intestinal issues and it made me think about Mia, not that she is autistic (we don't think she is), but that she still has bowel issues since her surgery. Bowel issues in that we frequently go and it isn't as formed as it should be. Anyway, I was reading that some autistic kids do really well on a gluten free, casein free diet and that it clears up their bowel issues, which made me start thinking about Mia. Brad's grandmother had Celiac Disease (gluten intolerance) and it's not uncommon for something like that to reappear in a family that has a history of it. So it made a lot of sense to me just to go and get Mia tested. The first step is a blood test, the second step would be an intestinal biopsy. I don't necessarily think that Mia has a gluten intolerance, although she does fit some of the classic "symptoms" of it, but I thought that it would just be a good idea to rule it out. So, she got poked today and was so good while they did that. It's hard to get IV's and blood draws with her, even still now that she is older, but she was much more patient as they were trying to find her vein. Her stuffed animal kitty was right there with her and they both got bandaids at the end for being so brave. We should know in about a week what the results are.

1 comment:

Mommy Diffee said...

I am dying to hear what you fing out! Either way it would not hurt to try the diet with her though!