Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The First Day


Today was our first official attempt at being gluten free. So far it hasn't been that bad. I got several pamphlets from our doctor and they talked about initially just trying to modify your diet and find gluten free alternatives, if something called for a flour tortilla, then a corn tortilla is ok to use. So, for breakfast we had cheesy eggs and banana. For lunch we had our grilled cheese, but with gluten free bread I found at Trader Joe's. And of course for dinner we are having sausage and avocado and probably some type of mixed veggie/fruit. And of course ice cream for desert. :) The thing about gluten free products is that sometimes there are hidden things you have to be concerned about, like if an ingredient says modified food starch, that might actually be gluten, you have to do some further research to find out. And the corn tortillas I bought were made in a factory where other wheat products are made, so there could be trace gluten in it, but at this point, I'm not going to freak out about that. I'll start with the major changes and work down to the minor ones eventually, if need be. I think overall it will force us to not eat so much processed food, which, really isn't a bad thing. We're just taking it one day at a time and not being too overwhelmed with it.

On a side note, I weighed the little missie and she's now 22 pounds 2 ounces...I'm so excited we are back to 22 pounds! Praise God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes,
Go Mia go Mia...We are praying for you all the time.
Love Auntie Dar

Unknown said...

Hey Lisa,
I noticed that Honey Nut Chex and Cinnamon Chex are gluten free. I had a coupon for those the other day and decided to try them since they were on sale :)